Home for Thanksgiving, and the Boy Gets Sick

We are home from going back up to Washington to spend Thanksgiving with my parents.  This included a trip down to Crescent City, CA, to visit with my grandparents on actual Thanksgiving, and I’m very glad we did.  The drive overnight on Wednesday night was sort of idiotic to me, but what do I know.  Thankfully, Jonathan slept fairly well the whole time even though every time we stopped, he’d wake up and freak out because I wasn’t in the car due to going to the bathroom.  This resulted in him freaking out every time I took him somewhere where I was driving because he got used to me being in the backseat with him, but when we got back to Hawai’i, that suddenly stopped.  Maybe he recognized my car?  Maybe it’s the mirror I have set up so I can see him?  Who knows.

Anyway, I am very glad we got to see my grandparents and that Jonathan got to finally meet them.  My grandpa was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on his lip, and had to undergo radiation to try to get rid of it.  It seems better now, but both he and my grandma are very frail now.  They’re both in their 80s, and I know people don’t like to think about death, but I wanted to make sure Jonathan got to see them in case something happens while we’re here.

The flight to Seattle was fine except Jonathan didn’t sleep more than 10 minutes on the whole flight.  I was carrying him in my lap, and I guess he was just excited about being on a plane or something because he was wide awake the whole time.  I am thankful that he didn’t fuss much until the very end, though.  Everyone around us was very understanding, too, which was a relief.  He turned on the charm for the people in the seats behind us, so he had someone to play with for most of the flight.  I’ve never been more happy to have such an easygoing little guy!  Of course, as soon as we got off the plane, it was total waterworks.  He didn’t want me leaving his sight even for a second, so I was struggling to use the bathroom with him in tow because he wouldn’t just stay with my mom and dad.  I did manage to forget my Kindle on the plane, and then proceeded to forget to call the airline all this week, so that’s #1 on the to-do list for tomorrow.

Of course, this lack of sleep on the plane culminated in 3 days of horrendous sleep for both of us.  He didn’t want to sleep at night, and he didn’t want to take naps.  I finally gave up before we left for California, and put him back on Hawai’i time, and all was good from then on out.  The hotel upgraded us to a suite, which was awesome, and Jonathan slept through the night for the first time on the trip in the hotel.  I’m thinking it’s because he could see me easily from the crib.

The flight back to Hawai’i was much better.  He slept for a good 3-4 hours, and when we got back, he played quietly in his crib while I got everything in the house and started unpacking.  He seems to have missed his bed just as much as I missed my bed, and slept great.  As much fun as it was to visit family, I was very glad to be back home with my stuff, and in my bed.

This past week has been crazy because we’ve just had stuff to do every day.  Just normal everyday things, but when you’re trying to squeeze them into the times that the kid is awake, it feels like you’re doing nothing but running all day long.  Tomorrow we have a play date and coffee with a new friend in Mililani, so I’m looking forward to that!  I’m turning into a hermit, and I need to make more friends that will get me out of the house.  I’m also starting to feel like a shitty mother because Jonathan clearly wants to be around other kids (he goes bonkers when we see kids while we’re out running errands), but so many people here with kids his age have older kids in school, so their nap times are opposite of Jonathan’s.  I’m hoping this new group of ladies will be a regular thing!

Finally, Jonathan has finally caught his first cold.  We made it over 14 months without him ever getting sick, so I’m a pretty proud mama!  It’s not that bad since he just has a runny nose, but sucking everything out of his nose has turned into an Olympic event.  He’s finally feeling better after 2 weeks of this runny nose, so we made it through his first illness just fine, and I’m happy that I didn’t get sick, as well!

On that note, I’m going to take a shower and hit the hay.  Ever since being in Washington, I’ve been getting tired so early.  Which is good because it’s forcing me to get more sleep, but I don’t have as much “me” time as I did before!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s